Thursday, June 4, 2009

Another update!!

Wow, the excitement! Ok, so yesterday, i posted when i got home from the appointment, etc, Well, i continued to lay down for about 2 hours, and kept getting contractions about 10 minutes apart, and they felt like the contractions i NORMALLY get at about 4 am the friday morning before i go into labor the next night. (i'm like clockwork with EVERYTHING) So i was concerned and called the dr's office, and talked to the midwife i'd seen that day, who put a rush on the fetal fibronectin test that i'd taken that day (Did i mention that?! probably not, but it was AWESOME, they did it blind without having to do the speculum thing, which was AWESOME! easy schmeasy. Anyway, so she put a rush on that in the lab, and told me i should really get to the hospital, so i packed up lots of books, Andy packed up the laptop, and we set off for the hospital.

They immediately admitted me to the hospital, about 4:30 pm put me in a wheelchair and sent me up to Labor and Delivery. They were SO nice there! The first nurse tried really hard to get the monitors to pick up the babies' heartbeats but the monitors weren't cooperating so she'd get them all jammed in there and as soon as they were set up, i'd have to to to the bathroom, having drunk water like crazy all day :-) by about 7 there was a shift change and i got a new nurse who was also really nice and she gave me a shot of some kind of smooth muscle relaxant. My doctor was there and read my pee test, and said i was severely dehydrated and my ketones were at a "2" i think the highest they can be- not good, so she ordered an IV. She wasn't sure if i'd have to stay overnight, which would have REALLY been a bummer because andy would have had to miss ANOTHER day of work or at least a half day. The results from my fetal fibronectin came back NEGATIVE, which is awesome, that means that at least this am when i had the test labor had NOT started, and was unlikely to happen in the next 2 weeks, but the dr. was concerned that we had to stop the contractions. it took longer than it usually does for the shot of muscle relaxant to work, and the contractions were still going. Then it started to work and i got really dizzy and shaky, but it definately helped, by about 930 my heart rate was still too high for another dose and my contractions were becoming more irritable and small with only an occassional regular contraction, so that was good! finally, after my 2nd bag of Iv fluids, my contractions were decreasing and my ketones were down to 1 and i was able to be liberated from the hospital by about 11:30! So i'm not sure what's up with the ketones, if it was just a dehydration thing, or due to not having really eaten much of anything since the pizza buffet we had at 11 am.

So i went home and took a SHOWER!! i was all gooeyed up from all the monitors and sweaty from my room being hot and blech! Then i drank another water bottle and went to bed. So this morning, i woke up with a headache and dark pee again. (WHAT THE HECK!?) its like i just can drink water constantly and still never get enough?!!? So i'm BACK to my bedrest routine. I was warned that i had to follow modified bedrest really strictly, or i'd have to be on STRICT bedrest, which is nearly impossible, so i'm trying really hard to not mess this up, since i do NOT want to get bumped up to strict and i do NOT want to end up in the hospital again!!! ugg. Prayers would be much appreciated.. there is SO much work to be done and it drives me NUTS staying in bed all day doing NOTHING!!!! uggggg...

6 comments:

teresamatz said...

praying for you, this will all be worth it in the end!
When do they hope to keep you preggo till? we will be in WA around the 16th of August.

Rebecca K. said...

thanks Teresa!! if they stay transverse, i'm guessing they'll just schedule my csec for around 36 wks, around mid july. if by some miracle they move so that A is head down, we'll wait for me to go into labor provided its after like 34-35 weeks?are you going to be here on the weekend when you are here?! we could schedule their baptism then if you are!

marrie said...

Hang in there! I was on bedrest from 18 weeks, started doing a little bit more at 34, and went all the way off at 36. I had my boys at 36 weeks and 1 day.

I know it sucks, it's the worst! But it will be worth it in the end! Did they give you vistaril? At 33.5 weeks they finally gave me that because I was so restless in bed that I wasn't staying still enough to stop the contractions. I had restless leg syndrome, so it was really hard! Especially since Dr. Maslow wanted me to stay horizontal. But after 34 weeks he let me get up more! It was much easier then. Well, as easy as being pregnant with two full term babies can be when you are less than five ft. tall!

Anyway, I feel your pain, but it will be over soon!

marrie said...

I forgot to say, your visit to the hospital was exactly like my visit at 26 weeks, and again at 33 weeks! Ketones, neg ffn, warnings about strict bedrest...

Oh, and did you ever see Dr. Ho? She kept telling me the twins had room to change positions all along, and they did! They were both breech one week, one of each the next, both head down the next, laying side by side...All the way until I was in labor! Every time I was concerned about their positions Dr Ho would say "Don't worry about it, they have room to move..."

So, I'm surprised they told you that yours didn't!

Dria said...

We are praying for you and the babies. Try to relax and let the kids run around you :)

JoAnn said...

Tsk, tsk, tsk!

Dehydration will cause preterm labor...ask me how I know!

Drink, drink, drink...and then drink some more.